Sunday, February 23, 2014

I'm Not Dead... I'm Breathing... :)

While I would like to say I exercise regularly to relax I cannot.  I can state that I am aware that regular exercise does release stress, and that meditation breathing is effective for this purpose.  A long ago in a body that was not marred by thirty years of abuse; I exercised daily.    The program that was followed combined weight lifting, martial arts (Judo, Tae Kwan Do, Jeet Kune Do), gymnastics and competitive shooting.  What I learned from each one that breathing was an essential key to being successful in each discipline.

            Weight lifting can have three main purposes and each requires proper breathing.  The type of breathing technique used varies depending on that type.  Example, for power lifting the exhale is the most important.  You combine the energy of the release with the explosive surge of the lift to create maximum force.  When cardio lifting, breathing is more shallow and even to reduce variations in heart rate.  Lastly, when using lifting for equalizing muscle strength, such as building your biceps as much as the triceps, a deep measured exhale is used with each movement with a slight pause at the end of the movement used for inhaling.

            Martial arts use the exact same techniques for different movements and effects.  Striking an opponent is the exact same as power lifting.  You use an extreme exhale in conjunction with the strike to focus that energy (also known as Chi) at the exact time of the strike forcing all that energy into your opponent.  When grappling with an opponent you must keep your breathing constant so you don't tire yourself out between moves.  This also helps to prevent tunnel vision by keeping your mind from fully embracing the adrenaline that is attempting to take over your senses.  When meditating an adapted version of the measured breathing in weight lifting is used.  Instead of the quick intake the entire breathing cycle is measured causing the body to fully relax. 

            The same technique is used in competitive shooting at long distances.  If your heart is beating too hard or fast your entire musculature moves with it.  Every expansion of the veins and arteries moves the muscles holding you steady.  The causes your face to rise and fall on the cheek piece, your finger to tremble on the trigger, your body to vibrate moving your sight position on the target, and cause your chest to rise and fall lifting your body from a solid resting place to that of being placed on a balloon.  Breathing evens out and minimizes these movements allowing a clean sight view, smooth trigger pull and a shake free follow through.  The "sweet" spot is just at the end of the exhale just before the inhale.  This is where your body is the stillest making your shot the most accurate.  If you are in tune that small split second seems like an eternity and you are in a state of mental awareness surrounded by physical stillness, just like the meditation used in martial arts.


            It is there in that state of awareness surrounded by physical stillness that full peace and relaxation finds me.  My physical condition determined what I was able to do in that space.  Then I could lower my heart rate to less than 40 beats per minute and change my body temperature.  Now I use the technique to remain calm in stress filled situations.  I sit at times focusing on those moments and concentrate on what sounds are around me increasing my awareness.  It is amazing what you can hear in a Park or café if you just breathe and listen.  Breathing still insulates what I feel, see and hear and allow me to feel centered and calm.  So if you see me just sitting somewhere not moving I'm not asleep or dead, I am breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment